Saturday, March 26, 2011

What is Art?

"The point is, that every piece of art changes your whole perception of the rest of the world for the rest of your life. And it's not a joke! And if it doesn't, then it's not art, it's a commodity."

- Lawrence Weiner


I understand where Lawrence is coming from but I think his view may be a bit narrow. Wouldn't it be nice if we could really narrow down whats art and what isn't? I'm sure many people would love to say that Marcel Duchamp's, Fountain is not art. At the same time others would call it ingenious. That's my point. Art is experienced differently by all who view it. A piece of art that one person disregards may have a  strong, meaningful connection to the next. Out of the people who have seen Fountain I'm sure many thought it was a joke. To others however, It may have changed the way they look at regular objects, especially in relation to art, for the rest of their lives. Art impacts each individual person in a different way and I believe that it is an exceptional piece of art that stays with you for life. 


No comments:

Post a Comment